Thursday, January 7, 2010

NECROSCIA SALMANAZAR

Fantastic and quite large species, I found many months ago far in the mountains arround Tayabas, Quezon Province, East Luzon.
Will always remember the first female in my flashlight, standing on top of a large leaf, blue silverish antennas up and stricking pink wings open.......I was so stunned I could'nt even say anything, just stayed mute of admiration !!!!
Took a "big risk" that evening as the area we were in was a notorious communist rebels area infested. Incidently in the short 2 hours we stayed in that area we found only this species, about 6 couples, feeding on a wild species of cinnamomum. here in manila they accepted easily jasminum and sampagita as replacement plants. Eggs are very large, long and curved, the female "hammers" them with great force in a soft support, styrophoam in my case. Unfortunately none of the eggs I got ever emerged and i lost the culture of that species :((
Nothing else left to me that "repeat" the risky trip in that area to get new specimens again.......a trip to "think about" first for obvious reasons.....!!!





No comments: